Monday, March 7, 2011

Genesis 24:1-67 [Isaac Loves Rebekah]

Here we meet the beautiful Rebekah who is not only beautiful on the outside but beautiful on the inside. When Abraham sent his servant to find a wife for Isaac, Rebekah is exactly what he was looking for.


Genesis 24:65-67 011)


[65] and asked the servant, “Who is that man in the field coming to meet us?”


   “He is my master,” the servant answered. So she took her veil and covered herself.


 [66] Then the servant told Isaac all he had done. [67] Isaac brought her into the tent of his mother Sarah, and he married Rebekah. So she became his wife, and he loved her; and Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.

and here is where tradition begins. Sounds like a wedding, doesn't it? The veil is very symbolic in weddings reminding us of when the Temple veil was torn in two when Jesus died on the cross for us. Removing the veil takes away the separation between God and Man. This is similar in Christian marriage because marriage is the picture union between God and the church. It is only through marriage that the couple have full access to one another.

1 Corinthians 7:4  The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife.

4 comments:

  1. I have replied in a while...and for that I feel really bad. Trying to get life back on track after illness and morning sickness and all that jazz. :) I love this story. It is one of my favorite stories in the Bible. I do love the beautiful illustration of the veil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I never had a real wedding. Grant and I were married in a court house but after learning the symbolisms behind the wedding rituals makes me want to renew my vowels =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should do that Brianna!! A marriage renewal, with family and friends. We had pretty much 2 weddings a week apart when DH and I got married. The second being more of a blessing ceremony, all in full dress and tux, back east with my friends and family who couldn't attend out here. I will never forget being surrounded by those who supported us on this whole "marriage" journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had two weddings, too - because the government here in Croatia doesn't recognize church weddings that are not performed in a Catholic church (we are evangelical). I have to say, the most meaningful one was our church one. I agree with Angel - you should plan an anniversary wedding...I think it would be so meaningful to you both. :)

    ReplyDelete