Sunday, March 13, 2011

Exodus 1:1-7:7 [A Man Named Moses continued...]

Exodus 5:1-2 

 [1] Afterward Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said, “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘Let my people go, so that they may hold a festival to me in the wilderness.’”

[2] Pharaoh said, “Who is the LORD, that I should obey him and let Israel go? I do not know the LORD and I will not let Israel go.”

It seems like when we tell people about the Lord who do not know God, they choose not to listen. Like Moses, we should not give up though. We should pray that the Lord opens their ears and softens their hearts so that they can know God. 

Exodus 5:6-9 

 [6] That same day Pharaoh gave this order to the slave drivers and overseers in charge of the people: [7] “You are no longer to supply the people with straw for making bricks; let them go and gather their own straw. [8] But require them to make the same number of bricks as before; don’t reduce the quota. They are lazy; that is why they are crying out, ‘Let us go and sacrifice to our God.’ [9] Make the work harder for the people so that they keep working and pay no attention to lies.”

When the Egyptians follow Pharaoh's directions it is nearly impossible for them to get the work done. They then confront Moses and tell him that it is his fault this is happening to them! So Moses questions the Lord again.

Exodus 5:22-23 

 [22] Moses returned to the LORD and said, “Why, Lord, why have you brought trouble on this people? Is this why you sent me? [23] Ever since I went to Pharaoh to speak in your name, he has brought trouble on this people, and you have not rescued your people at all.”

Did you ever pray for something and it did not get answered right away? We must realize that God works on his time and not our own. 

So the Lord gave Moses directions once again. He was to speak to his people, but they did not listen. They were too discouraged. How many people have we met that have lost faith in God because they were discouraged when a prayer was not answered or something did not go right in their lives? This is exactly what we are seeing here. 

God then told Moses to go the Pharaoh again with a message.

Exodus 7:1-5 

 [1] Then the LORD said to Moses, “See, I have made you like God to Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron will be your prophet. [2] You are to say everything I command you, and your brother Aaron is to tell Pharaoh to let the Israelites go out of his country. [3] But I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and though I multiply my signs and wonders in Egypt, [4] he will not listen to you. Then I will lay my hand on Egypt and with mighty acts of judgment I will bring out my divisions, my people the Israelites. [5] And the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD when I stretch out my hand against Egypt and bring the Israelites out of it.”

So Moses and Aaron did exactly what the Lord had asked of him.  Here we see that God is telling him that he will appear as God to Pharaoh. As Christians, we should be as much like God as we can be. I remember in the sermon I went to last night, the pastor said, "Do not be the best "you" you can be; Be the best imitation of God you can be." 

Philippians 2:5-6 

 [5] In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

 [6] Who, being in very nature[a] God, 
   did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;

When other's see our walk and how we are giving, loving, good natured people, they want to be around you. When you can be a people magnet, you can be a better witness to the Lord. After all, isn't being his witness our ultimate calling?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, true Brianna. This is where the "what would Jesus do" comes in. In loving others the way Christ does and reserving the judging to Him as well. I think that by doing this, not expecting non Christians to live by Christian rules can make a difference to those in our circle of influence. This is where we sometimes fall short. Accepting them but not the sin, and not judging the sin. God convicts hearts when they are open to Him.

    ReplyDelete